Monday 27 March 2017

Poetry I

Here are three free verse poems I have written which reflect distinct moods I have felt. They have been written during the relevant times of emotion such that I like to think they, as deliverers of feeling, represent reasonably accurate crystallisations of myself at different points in time. Unfortunately, they are rather self-indulgent and esoteric, written primarily for intellectual and cathartic pursuits. Nevertheless, I would like to include them here as starting points for my poetry writing.


*

This first poem is called Carnival. From a literal perspective, it is an isolated examination of modern partying from the perspective of a marginalised and lone observer. However, the purpose of the poem is an exercise in hypocrisy and ignorance, for the speaker is inevitably a part of who he describes as 'they' and 'them'. His distaste is futile and his observations bring no progression. Through this, the poem also explores powerlessness and the facade of agency we now experience in a disconnected age, regardless of whether we are active or passive. It experiments with visceral description, line and syntax construction and overall form.

Carnival

Look there, the lasers and lights and bouts of
Definite toons; the enthused string of expectation
Tightened with a pinch of insobriety. The
Laughter and the embers and deafening songs all-right
Under the swept-tinted viscous sky; Night
Drags on smouldering against the watchful eye
Of no one but I: observing this fair
With some confusion.

Speakers pick up
The pulse of the herd. Desperate tunes and the
Lights parboiled. Swaying
With the thumps and flashes that ebb.
Frothy and spilling the substance sap of their
Thoughts lap in accordance with the chemicals bonds
Of relief. Released from reality, rowing
Further and further into the black bubbles of
Oceanus. Morning they stop, reborn tomorrow
Or perhaps the day after - pain walks slow just as how
Quickly these goers degenerate.

Courageless bottles, pumped necks throttled
where they have leaked redness, stomach
Acid simmering in the heat of bodies. And the
Stumpy leeches, sucking on the thick tick-tock dregs
Which have once again found a clot of their
Choosing. Walls which curve, peaked sweat
Shimmering in pink strobes. Dripped lips turning
Rabid. Vapours of sober breath wisp
And there falls the drool that mothers once wiped away
In necessity of action.
But it is only me amidst the fiends
Who sees this sickening state. Growth of
Infancy; regression with the varied lights and music and grand
Polemics about the importance of stress relief.

Their speech is the speakers – unopposed, unfettered
But with each twist of tongue I see the plastic mildew rot against their
Skin. Limbs flail in the fun fair and
I disgustedly discuss: who are they to verify us?
Their breath seeps onto the floor and when it is cooled it
Wraps around their hardened heels. Fire suppurates in them to replace
Them. Fire sloshes through arteries to replace them. Fire fuels
To replace, then all unseeing the march repeats.

Late car-rides and
Time markers and ten seconds to count for ten decades of their
Devolution; a plague of physicality and sentimentality
Yet they grin therein, their chins displaced. Their bones touch air
And the softest of winds could incapacitate them. How they will wish
They could have redone it, not relived it. But not now,
Only in a millennium after the youthful sun dies, where their forms can no
Longer escape to the dark-bright sanctity of their actions, should they
Surprisedly realise their laser light paradise is a land of lies.

*

The second poem is called One, or I. It combines senseless ambition, indiscriminate condescension and self-aggrandized riddle-like references to paint a picture of egotism. Just as an egoist cannot believe that others comprehend his objectives, the poem is so inwardly focused that it is inaccessible in full. Its style reflects E. E. Cummings with the use of typography, broken syntax and a non-standard use of lexis and punctuation.

One, or I

Theres a special place for them
It’s here
       tick        tick
Get back you.

Theres a special place for everyone
not him
He’s an era
Rothschild
Alexander
of Macedon

he has no special place
contest gives place.

Pass twelve and meet him or
take some more - you won’t have him.
See his revul u sion

As he watches
The seconds         as         they         tick         by.

*

The third poem is called Evening Pincer Movement. It is about wanting something you are not allowed to have and imagining how things would be if you could live a different life. The futile conclusion of the poem is that if we considered our lives panning out differently, we would realise that in that other life we would also consider our lives panning differently, and so on. This circular and constantly unfulfilled desire is framed by an extended military metaphor with the use of standard quatrains, internal rhyme and narrative progression.

Evening Pincer Movement

From a different field stood he as me
Yet we knew dusk would be our signal
To find to take to keep to want;
Our elusive objective now-protected.

Operation Nightingale (mine, unauthorised):
Cross the marron bentgrass, reach the mapped rouge
A dainty chateau; its burning grace,
Holy light, white under twilight.

With a hand I'd reach for it is my freedom,
With myself I'd advance but it is high treason,
Yet he across me is held by no reason
Like I am. And dusk is coming.

Such a short distance away; tender aurae,
Cleansing flames simpering in the evening,
Delicate tunes of hearths
That don’t exist out here.

Pristine walls, pale and freshly painted,
Narrow doorways and winding labyrinths,
Incense and quiet and in a sense; innocence,
The carefree spirit of a playful phonograph.

To occupy this heaven in enemy lines
I cannot. I have a home, not this one
Though this man across the field, it may be his
Just as tonight I know it’s not mine.

What is it worth the allegiance of one
When it takes away the truth of two?
He and me, across each other,
He, free, me, stuck.

Positioned at wrought iron, I stare through bars,
A wistful mind lacquering the metal;
What if I was you? What if I could move
And escape the mud for a second.

But what use is a second, permanence I keep away from here
Perhaps in his chateau he will look back at me
Through the dark-wood windows, knowing I have what he does not
And I, knowing he has what I do not.

It is the greatest dilemma I come to,
To wish to be oneself elsewhere...
To advance and in doing so retreat,
Knowing oneself elsewhere wishes to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment